Villeroy & Boch
Villeroy & Boch has been around for over 250 years and is a family owned busines, currently in their 8th generation.
Francois Boch started manufacturing ceramic tableware in 1748 in the village of Auden-le-Tiche in the Duchy of Lorraine.
In 1770, Boch introduced the "Brindille" pattern, which is still around today under the name of "Alt-Luxemburg".
In 1791, Nicolas Villeroy opened an earthenware factory in Vaudrevange, now called Wallerfangen. He printed on tableware using copper-plating.
In 1809, Boch bought a building on the River Saar near Villeroy. He opened up a modern tableware production, designing and inventing several machines to replace manual labor. The corporate headquarters of Villeroy & Boch are still in this location today.
In 1829, the Boch's invent an earthenware brighter and harder than porcelain that they call porcelain stoneware.
In 1836, Villeroy & Boch join forces in order to survive the European market.
In 1843, Villeroy & Boch open up a glassworks factory and manufacture their first new product as a company - glassware that complements their tableware lines.
In 1846, Villeroy & Boch export goods all throughout Germany, France, Switzerland, Poland and England.
In 1850, bone china and marble-like parian earthenware are created. Also, Villeroy & Boch now export to all the European markets including North and South America.
In 1899, Villeroy & Boch produced sanitary ware such as bathtubs and sinks.
Because of the World War in 1920, factories were no longer aloud to supply goods to the German markets.
Between 1939-1950, the Second World War demolishes all buildings near the River Saar. Villeroy & Boch have reached their lowest point.
In 1959, production of Villeroy & Boch's new porcelain begins at the Septfontaines.
In 1971, Villeroy & Boch send their largest shipment of tableware to Japan. They also gain popularity in the USA.
In 1975, Villeroy & Boch concentrate on excellent design. Luigi Colani is hired as a deisgner and designs a complete bathroom set.
In 1982, Villeroy & Boch restructures and forms three divisions: tile, sanitary ware and tableware/crystal.
In 1986, they focus on the younger buyer with the "Gallo Deisgn".
In 1987, the company is converted to a public limited company, but the capital remains as family property.
In 1989, because they aquired 50% fo the Dutch company, Villeroy & Boch produce plastic bathtubs and shower trays.
In 1990, Villeroy & Boch start trading on the stock exchange.
in 2003, Villeroy & Boch restored the Schinkel Fountain in Old Abbey Park which was a gift for Jean-Francois Boch in 1833 from Fredrich William, Prince of Prussia.
In 2005, Villeroy & Boch win the 2004 - German Business Innovation Award for the "NewWave" cup.
Click here to see more Villeroy & Boch.
Reed & Barton